April 12, 2018
I am nearing yet another birthday — and this time its my 50th!! As I prepare for the big change (he-he) I am left reflecting on what I have accomplished on the first 50 years of my life. Have I utilized my time well?, What can I do differently?, Who can I help with my 50 years of expertise?, What are my goals for the next 50 years? So, here it goes….
In the past 50 years of my life ……..
- Had the joy of being raised and guided through life by my dear, sweet dad
- Graduated from KU in Elementary Education
- Married my BEST FRIEND
- Taught many different backgrounds of children (From enlisted soldiers children to kids living with single moms and having each sibling from a different father to those with great opportunity)
- Had my sassy, beautiful, independent minded daughter greet my life
- Had my quiet, thoughtful, admirable son come to join us
- Had the opportunity to teach ESOL Students, where I met Fabrizio. Yeabsira, Jorge, Moyo, Sarai, Illian, AJ, Phu, Hung, Alejandro, Arturo & Lesly just to name a few
- Adopted many beautiful creatures — including a Samoyed, Bernese Mountain Dog and currently 2 gentle, crazy yet exquisite Great Danes
- Watched my husband leave his corporate position to start his own firm successfully
- Facilitated where needed as my girl completed her 1st year of college and began to hone in on what she wants to study
- Listened as my boy made lofty goals and watched him work to make them happen
- Appreciated my family members who love unconditionally
- Benefitted from making new friends that teach me new things
- Lived in corners of the world filled with good, kind, attentive people
- Appreciated good schools that educated , guided and appreciated all the different young people with their distinct personalities and desires for the future
- Lived a life with my needs met and people that love me
What has my 50 years taught me…..
- Friends and family are special
- Believe in yourself!
- Be positive!!!
- Keep learning – but don’t compare your growth to others
- Patience is a virtue (THANKS Papa!!)
- Master how to remain calm — its a great gift to you
- How you make others feel about themselves, says a lot about you.
- Treat people with kindness
- Do the things you dread first — you will feel better immediately
- Handle your troubles during the day so your troubles don’t keep you awake at night
- Learn to be alone without being lonely
- Keep your promises
- Nothing gets handled with anger
- Exercise relieves stress (so does ice cream and a dog or two or three)
- Find a good support staff (hair dresser, neurologist, urologist, PT, veterinarian, home repair, construction assistance/painter, auto repair, appliance repair, etc.)
- Appreciate your station in life!
- Be thankful for what you have
- Appreciate the small things (birds chirping, dogs wanting to sit by you, a surprise measuring tape from your daughter=), coloring with a friend like Mary, baking, painting, ice cream cones, blooming pear trees, warm breezes, watching someone make a hole in one or a birdie on the first hole (JACK), or a kiss on the forehead from a husband, et….., etc…..)
- ENJOY — life is short!!!
My goals for the next 50 years are ….
- Spend more time with my dad, Grandma and Grandpa
- Learn to play the piano
- Learn to fluently speak other languages
- Travel, travel, travel with my husband, children, my dogs, my dad, future grandchildren, my friends, perhaps even myself, etc…
- Continue honing in my knitting and crocheting skills
- If I see something beautiful in someone to be sure to tell them
- Adopt more, more, more beautiful creatures
- Read good books
- Paint again
- Move to a home with some property and a pond
- Adopt ducks for the pond — and a Shetland Highland Cow
- ALWAYS substitute expectation for appreciation
- ENJOY People that surround me and embrace the good in EACH DAY!!!!!!!!
Back in 1968 …
- Lyndon B. Johnson was the President
- Some popular music was Hey Jude by the Beatles and The Dock of the Bay by Otis Redding
- A few films of the time were Rosemary’s Baby, Funny Girl and Planet of the Apes
- The 911 Emergency Phone Service began in the US
- The BIG MAC is introduced and sold for 49 cents
- Martin Luther King Jr was assassinated and lead to violence and race riots
- President Johnson signed the CIVIL RIGHTS ACT
- NASA launched the first manned Apollo Mission – Apollo 17
- Average ANNUAL income was $7,850
- Average NEW house was $14, 950
- Average NEW car was $2,822
- Gallon of gas was 34 cents
Overall, I feel incredibly lucky!! My grandmother showed us all how to make lemonade out of lemons, my dad showed us how to appreciate each day with a song in your heart and my husband always has a smile to share and a new idea to make his families dreams come true. I am not sure I could ask for anything more.
“If you love what you have, you have everything”