On Thursday I had COGNITION Testing. I spent 5 HOURS with Latty engaging in a battery of tests. I met Latty a few years ago when we worked for 2 days on testing my cognitive capacity. Our intense work allowed a baseline of my brains abilities to be put into place. Latty is easy to be with, serious but silly and makes me laugh. I genuinely have fun being with her and I was elated to see her again!
This time around testing included activities like —-
- MMPI Test
- number activities (repeating back sets of numbers that continually become larger, repeating them back backwards, repeating them back in order from smallest to biggest)
- vocabulary defining
- listening to stories then retelling everything I can remember in the exact words used in the story and then answering yes/no questions about the details of the story
- block puzzles that I am asked to reproduce
- puzzles that I have to reproduce in as few movements as possible
- speed tests
- recall tests
- pattern activities
- problem solving activities
- explaining how to accomplish a task
- organizing groups of info and explaining why I organized each group the way I did
- spatial relations assessments
- seeing color words and announcing what the word says instead of the color it is written in
- word games like how many words can you tell me that start with the letter p in 60 seconds (from past experience I can tell you they are looking for higher order vocabulary)
- drawing activities
- etc…, etc…, etc….
Latty and I completed all the tests Dr. Schroeder, Neuropsychologist, requested to thoroughly compare my brain capacity now versus 2 years ago. My husband and I will hear the results on Monday, October 1.
I worked very hard during testing. I covered my eyes to overcome overstimulation, I was imagining writing on a chalkboard to remember information, I was processing my thoughts out loud, I allowed more time for my brain to recall, I laid down to relax when processing, etc…, etc… Latty said things like “I can tell you are really concentrating” “You seem like you are working harder this time”. It was all true. I remember one time I was supposed to be telling how two opposing words were similar. In processing out loud I forgot the words I was comparing. It truly was hard work. Latty said “this time you knew what to expect and perhaps last time because you didn’t it was more easy going and fun”.
When I hear the results comparing my brains abilities I want to hear that my processing is still in the normal range for my education level and age. In some ways I think I was better at testing this time around in other ways I can see potential declines. Regardless I wanted to give testing all that I was capable of. In some ways for genuine interest in others out of sheer fear.
In the end I am thankful that I can still process, walk and be my genuine self. Over time my stressors in life will iron themselves out and I will move back into a place of more peace and new challenges and better processing. Life is tough right now but LIFE IS GOOD!!